Friday 5 August 2011

Anecdote: Mascara's Journey to The Big Apple, NYC!


After a week at DC, me & a group of friends made our way to the ever crazy, super busy NYC!!! We took a bus from the Union Station for a 5-hour journey to NYC, dragged our luggage into a cab and headed straight to our rented apartment. We had a clear agenda in mind – MORE SHOPPING! – this time at the Woodbury Common Premium Outlet (http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=7).  So we rented a car, braved our way through the busy interstate highway, stopped by for pancakes breakfast at The Fireplace,and reached at the destination early in the morning for a 12-hour shopping marathon. It was a wonder how the car managed to stay intact with the mountains of shopping bags in the boot, and with 5 ladies cramped together. I have never before in my life shopped as much, or as long, as I did in Woodbury haha! But it was a pure blissful retail therapy for sure, and I absolutely refused to think of the total damage I have caused on that day itself.
We learned to use to train & the bus – which saved us a lot of money. We went to Times Square (HRC NY was a must of course!) & went crazy camwhoring our ways through the massive crowd; visited the World Trade Center, Empire State Building, strolled down the Central Park,  Chrysler Building, the HRC at the Yankee Stadium (near Bronx), Trump Tower, The Plaza Hotel,  and Macy’s.  We strolled down 5th Avenue, marveled at all the prestigious boutiques along the fashion-focused street, and had a quick stop at the Apple Retail Store at 5th Avenue. SOHO was also lined with rows of shopping spots, not as uber-upscale as 5th Avenue – but a shopping heaven nonetheless.
My NY trip was made ever more meaningful from my visit to the Metropolitan Museum of Art (of the MET) - http://www.metmuseum.org/ . The rest of the group preferred to continue their quest to shop till they drop, and so I made my way to the MET on my own, excited beyond words. And it was breathtaking! The work of arts by from the 18th and 19th century world renowned painters and artists such as Monet & Van Gogh; the ancient collections from almost everywhere around the world – and most fabulously of all – an exhibition of works collection by the late Alexander McQueen – called Savage Beauty.  The collection was a superb work of art by the late designer, with selected collections being displayed in a brilliant showcase set-up with a storyline of its own, depicting the McQueen’s obsession with love, romance, and death. Savage Beauty moved and inspired me, and actually brought tears in my eyes as I wondered how such a talented soul could have his life ended so soon when clearly he had all the spirit in him to move someone with his talent.  Take a look at some of the collections I viewed during the exhibition at this link http://blog.metmuseum.org/alexandermcqueen/
Yours truly standing infront of the MET


Sadly, I did not managed to visit the Ellis Island and the Status of Liberty – didn’t have the time as I had to fly to Chicago, my next stop in my US trip. But I was already a happy woman with a super-heavy luggage full of prized damage from the Woodbury, and the visit to the MET was definitely a perfect end to my stay in NY.
I’ll tell you more of my Chicago visit in my next post. Till then, here’s a video of a Kate Moss hologram directed by the late McQueen himself, played at the end of his 2006 Fall/ Winter runway show. 

Kate Moss' amazing hologram during McQueen's show in 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.