Tuesday 30 August 2011

Pretty Dresses for Eid - Confessions of an Online Shopaholic!

Salam Aidilfitri uolz!
It is now 1.15am, the Eid has arrived, and I am due to be awake in the wee hours of dusk to help my MIL and SIL prepare MIL’s ever-famous nasi dagang for breakfast. I have been yawning every 5 seconds for the past half an hour, but since the house is still busy with hustles and bustles of Raya preparations, I felt it was my duty to stay awake as long as possible in evident of my commitment to ensure that every cookies are placed in the canisters, every piece of baju raya is properly ironed, and every single requests from MIL is fully catered to.
It is our turn to celebrate the Eid at my PIL’s place (first) this year, and despite the fact that my parents’ place is just a block behind PIL’s, and I could just skip away to say hi to my mum for 5 minutes if I really wanted too, I still miss my crazy siblings and the usual late nights we enjoyed so much lazing infront of the tube, watching Malay dramas & films showed on air and bitching endless about the so-not-talented actors and actresses & weak storylines.
Last night was a late one too back home in Subang Bestari; I remembered glancing at the clock and noticing that it was already 2.45am and I was still up pretending to be absorbed in packing for me and the 2 dudes in the spirit of balik kampung for Hari Raya. As usual, I faced the yearly dilemma and confusion of the fact that my kampung is merely 15 minutes away from home – which is like just a sneeze away – and that fact in particular drives my mind crazy on a yearly basis as to why I even need to pack things up when I can just make a quick dash home if I happen to forget the toothbrush or something.
And so I did what I always do in this awkward situation – I distract myself by procrastinating and diverting my thoughts to other less complicated matters – like rummaging through my spill-over wardrobe. This year in particular I have not had the opportunity to join the excited crowd braving my way to Shah Alam or KL to spend money on unnecessary Raya items. I have been too busy trying to survive the fasting month - this year has been a very unsettling and difficult fasting experience for me – health-wise. And so I didn’t get the chance to bat my long eyelashes at Pedro when I see any object of desire (ie a super expensive baju kurung in delicate soft chiffon and satin crepe without a price tag on it, indicating that it is absurdly ridiculous to even put a price on such an astoundingly beautiful creation and if you have the nerve to even think you deserve to wear it, look for the haughty-looking sales-girl whose eyes are rolling as she sizes you up whether you make enough paycheck in a month to be able to afford to pay for the delicate piece); and persuade him that I really need that super expensive piece to add to my wardrobe collection, or else.
And so I ended up settling for online shopping.  Now I have a confession to make. I am a super sucker for online shopping! Easy-measy way of spending money! Especially on pretty clothes! This year in particular my Raya wardrobe consists of pretty dresses and caftans which I bought from trusted online boutiques – where I happen to be a frequent buyer. And so, minus the long queues at the cash counters, the ridiculous traffic, the stupid crowd filled with obnoxious people trying to do last minute desperate Raya shopping, and silly, haughty-looking sales girls with overdone make-up (eyeliner!) and annoying high-pitched voices – I managed to get myself some nice-looking pieces, just to name a few:

1. Colourful striped Kaftan in chiffon, empire waist encrusted with rows of diamonds at the waist – courtesy of Lace Lab (xoxo Meera)

2. Vintage Grey Kaftan in chiffon, with pretty grey stones embellishments at the empire waistline – courtesy of Lace Lab (xoxo Meera)


3. Long black Grecian dress with pretty embellishments at neckline – courtesy of House of Allure (xoxo Isma)


4. Long hot pink dress with empire waist, and a pretty row of diamonds embellishment  - courtesy of House of Allure (xoxo Isma)


5. Black chiffon top with heavy embellishments at neckline – super coolness if you wear it with skinny jeans, killer heels and your IT handbag – courtesy of House of Allure (xoxo Isma)


6.       .. and a few others which I shouldn’t list here just incase Pedro reads this and discovers that I’ve made some unnecessary purchases that he wasn’t aware of..ngeee!!

Coolness don’t you think so? And the materials are superbly fine! I really must thank Nurul Shazmeera Darus (Lace Lab - http://www.facebook.com/people/Lace-Lab/100001722649463) and Ismawati Ismail (House Of Allure - http://houseofallure.blogspot.com/) for such exquisite tastes in each respective collection of pretty pieces. I am a return customer – that’s for sure J
So, despite the fact that I should be feeling hot and gorgeous during the Eid celebrations with my treasured collection of ‘bling’ed frocks – I also realize that I will have to painfully watch the pretty fabrics facing the utmost risk of getting ruined as I spend the whole day washing dishes, refilling the sambals & rendangs, with Kimy tugging and pulling at my dress asking for something or complaining about something – or worst having some kid with splattered chocolate on their hands & mouth slapping their fists at me in the midst of Raya visits by relatives or friends. Ok, I don’t mean to sound mean, it is late already and I’m facing difficulty trying to express myself accurately in this post – but you know what I mean. But nevertheless, I am a woman who emphasizes the importance of looking good whenever and wherever – and I hereby accept that this is part of the risk that I have to endure in my quest to stay and look the way I desire. Oh the pain of being a woman!
Enough of my ramblings. It’s bloody late already and I really must be up early in the morning, amiiinn.
And so people – with the celebrations of Eid and the holy month of Syawal – I wish all of you a beautiful and prosperous Eid-ul-Fitr; please accept my humble apology for any wrong-doings and unintentional mistakes; and may you have a blast with your loved ones. Enjoy the long, well-deserved holidays!
XOXO Mascara

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.